Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Winter Mantle and Bunting Banner Tutorial

Although we put all of our Christmas decorations away on New Year's Day, it's taken me a few weeks to finalize my winter mantle.  Here is what I came up with:
The only thing that makes it a winter mantle is that...well... it's winter outside.  Lol

I wanted to go with a brown, cream and gold color scheme.  
I started with two wire baskets I had.  They had originally come with mixed nuts in them which we had for Christmas.  I then took brass candlesticks and placed them inside of the baskets.  
I tied three books together with fabric ribbon and added a key embellishment (which was from a Pottery Barn gift tag).   Wicker baskets on either end add texture to the mantle.
Four giraffes and a family photo are in the center.
For the bunting, I made a template for a triangle 6" across the top and 10" high.
I cut six triangles using two coordinating pieces of scrapbook paper (I was able to get three triangles out of each 12" square scrapbook paper - cardstock quality).
Using my Silhouette machine, I cut the letters FAMILY out of a third piece of coordinating scrapbook paper.  Using the left over paper from the triangles, I cut out squares to help highlight the letters.  
I used mini clothes pins and twine to hang the bunting.  

Can't wait to hear what you think of my mantle makeover.
-Judy



6 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Judy, I love the color scheme and the animal prints! Fun for the middle of winter!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the bunting, Judy! It ties in so well with your giraffes!

Unknown said...

Sweet! 'Family' pretty much sums it all up doesn't it :-)

Susan Anderson said...

Great winter look!

=)

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Love the banner! Thanks for sharing!

laxsupermom said...

Love your mantel! The bunting looks terrific! The animal prints are so much fun! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...