Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

I Have a Plan

As you know, I am in the process of updating/reorganizing the his and hers walk-in closets in our master bedroom. It started with me removing the closet doors and adding drapes instead.

Then I revamped my closet.
You can check out the full closet reveal here.
Now it's time for me to work on my husband's closet.  My husband's closet is a much different story.  My husband wanted a new organizer system for his closet.  I got a few estimates and the estimates range from $1500 if we do it ourself to $2,300 to have a professional install the closet.  When we originally designed the closet we must have done a good job, because no one can come up with a better layout.  So for all of the estimates the layout would NOT change at all.  
$1500-$2300 for the exact same closet seems just plain wrong.  I could justify it if the new design would be so much different.  But it won't be.  So I asked my husband what he likes and dislikes about his current closet system, hoping that once I understood that, I could come up with another solution.

This is what he likes:
1.  He likes the current closet's functionality
Yes, it's a short list.

This is what he doesn't like:
                                                            1.  He HATES the white (he wants dark wood)
                                                            2.  He HATES the handles (he wants something sleeker)
                                                            3. A few of the drawer fronts are stripped so they don't work right
                                                            4.  He wants a valet pullout bar
                                                            
I can work with this.  So after much thought and research, I came up with nothing.  Then, I was wandering around Home Depot and I inadvertently stumbled upon a solution.
I am super excited.

I tried it on one drawer and I think it's going to be perfect.  I showed my husband and he thought I had bought a new drawer front.  Once I told him what I did he was totally on board and he gave me the go ahead to get started.  My solution will save me $2200.  Yep...I can fix all of his dislikes for under $100.  Do I have you wondering?

Here's a sneak peak.
I've got my work cut out for me this weekend.

Have a great weekend!
-Judy


Shine Your Light

15 comments:

Gina said...

Ok, you've got me wondering! Can't wait to see what you're up to.

Debbiedoos said...

Can't wait to see it.

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Oh goody....I love reveals!! can't wait!
Lorraine

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Hmmm, what did you find, Judy? : ) I did wonder if they make the valet bar as an accessory type thing for the closet organizers, so you could just buy and install one of those. The color change ~ I guess you could go a number of ways, so I'm eager to see what you did. Plus, you'll have to tell us what he says when you show it to him all done!

I still have to get to mine, but I'm trying to figure out if I get the storage boxes, what exactly am I going to put in them.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see what you've done!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Judy, this sounds like a great before and after in the making! Maybe you'll link it up to my before party today? I need to tackle my master closet as well and look forward to seeing what you do with this one. How awesome that you and your hubby have separate spaces!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh can't wait. Hugs, Marty

Courtenay@Creek Line House said...

Fun!

Traci said...

You've got me wondering. I can't wait to see what you're up to. It's ridiculous how expensive it is to be organized!!

Shannon Fox said...

Lucky guy! Mine is happy I give him any closet space at all. Bet it's going to look fabulous =)

dee dee said...

How fun! Can't wait to see your solution!
dee dee

At The Picket Fence said...

All right...that was not fair to tease us like that Judy! :-) I'm wanting to make some changes in our closet too so I can't wait to see your solution!
Vanessa

Susan Anderson said...

Always fun to see your outcomes...

=)

Stephanie said...

I am thinking contact paper that looks like wood...but I could be wrong. Either way, it looks like a brand new drawer front, it is going to be so handsome! You go girl.

Cynthia said...

Can't wait to see this outcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...